Thursday, July 16, 2026

First Post!

TL;DR  This is the blog of John, a 14-year-old (as of writing) programmer and tinkerer who likes to untangle things and understand them.

Hi!  I'm John, or @johnzhou721 on GitHub.  I'm a high schooler from Texas, which is just too hot but also huge!  I like to code, do math, and write both technically and in prose (more exciting things to come in the future in this regard).  I also like to do other stuff, like playing piano, alto saxophone, and playing tennis.  And last but not least, I like to contribute to and start free and open source projects.

Regarding programming specifically, I have interests in GUI frameworks, image processing, and competitive programming.  I'm participating in USACO Silver and am a Content Author at the non-profit Competitive Programming Initiative (CPI).  At CPI, my love for technical writing meets my desire to deeply understand algorithmic solutions to competitive programming problems.

Essentially, I just love to find out how things work, and want to make them work myself.

In this blog...

In this blog, I will be posting mostly technical content.  I like to debug issues in open source projects, so I may be writing about those.  I'll also write about programming in general, as well as specific, interesting problems in math and programming competitions.  I may occasionally also blog about my other interests and life in general; for the latter, I try to limit myself to non-sensitive and mostly professional topics.

Supporting my work

I plan to set up GitHub sponsors in the near future; watch this space.  If you're interested in supporting me through either a general sponsorship or contract work, read johnzhou721/sponsorship-info first.  TL;DR I am not affiliated with the core teams of projects I contribute to, and donations should not be directed toward my volunteer work at CPI.

Bonus: A Small Puzzle

To entertain y'all after this long post, here's a small puzzle.  The aim is to find my favorite movie given the following clues.  Do not be intimidated by the math; there are multiple ways to solve this puzzle. Even without doing the calculations, Disney fans may recognize the answer.

Let $Y_0$ be the year my favorite movie was released, and define $Y=Y_0-2000$. Let $M$ be the 1-indexed number of the movie's release month. Let $D$ be the day of the date the movie was released on.

  • $Y$ is equivalent to $5$ mod $8$, and is equivalent to $1$ mod $3$.
  • $\displaystyle M=9\sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac14\right)^j+\mathrm e^{\mathrm i\pi}.$
  • $D$ is a perfect cube.
  • The movie's main characters were originally going to be part of an existing Disney lineup, but the franchise was so successful that it was marketed separately.

Verification for programmers:
The MD5 hash of the names of two main characters in the movie from oldest to youngest, separated by a space in titlecase without trailing or leading spaces or newlines is 908bea5f972e0dac6b7fcaa151cd8d5d.

For programmers, feel free to leave the hash of the name of the movie (title-case, no spaces) in the comment section, but do not name it as it'll give this away (and also because random people somehow think it's cringe and for little girls; I disagree).  For non-programmers, you can provide additional clues below after you solve it.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

peter infield said...

`68abcc3d0869f8a52c2b286b3c511dd3`

John said...

@peter infield — seems like $\texttt{``}$ is begin interpreted by MathJax as ASCII math, and cc is command for switching to cursive font which is coincidentally followed by 3 which is a number, and things go wrong from there. I'll try to disable ASCIIMath on MathJax plugin. but yes, correct.

John said...

Fixed rendering (although no Markdown support still)
btw what's your username reference

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Announcing New Tags on this Blog

Lots of my tags got overgeneralized... so adding some new, specific ones.